Subject: self6.memo
From: Clearing Archive Roboposter <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Aug 2000 15:13:13 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.clearing.technology

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

      SELF CLEARING FILE #6 OF 11

   ---------------------------------------------  

Copyright 1997

All commercial rights are reserved to the author, who currently
wishes to remain anonymous and therefore is writing under the
pen name of "The Pilot".  Individuals may freely copy these files
on the internet for their own use and they may be made available
on any web server who does not charge for them and who does not
alter their contents.

   ---------------------------------------------  

SELF CLEARING CHAPTER 24: SUPPRESSION

There will be the occasional individual who tries to make
your life miserable.

If you are in good shape, you simply handle the person and /
or the situation that they are creating.  Sometimes you can
win enemies over or you drive them off or you just hold your
own and they drop the matter eventually.

But sometimes it happens that a person is overwhelmed by an
attacker, whether the attack is overt or covert.  In that
case your best course is often to retreat and gather your
resources in a safe position away from the overwhelming
influence.  This is not meant to encourage running away,
in the long run you will have to face up to things.  But
sometimes it is the appropriate solution in the short term
so that you can catch your breath so to speak.

The reasons for attack can be many.  There are some people
who want to enslave and dominate everybody.  And there are
some who are stuck in old incidents that make them feel that
everybody is an enemy.  But mostly it is just vested interests
and people who see themselves as being in competition with
others in a dog eat dog world.

Overt attacks are visible and you probably already have some
skill at handling these.

But covert attacks are not so obvious.  They consist of efforts
to dominate and control and invalidate in a subtle manner and
are often done with a smile and a knife in the back.

Your sharpest indication of this is that when you begin to
do better at something, the covert attacker will work to try 
and bring you down.  This person is said to be "suppressive"
to you because they are attempting to suppress your advancement
and gains in abilities.

You will find that such a person works to invalidate you and
make less of you, to stop you and undermine your confidence,
and to make you feel depressed and disheartened.  At the same
time, you will often find that they try to keep you under their
control and make you dependent on them.

Unfortunately, we are in a world of competition and domination.
People do sometimes see it as their right to control you and
will begin undermining you if they see you moving out from 
under their thumb.

Some parents do this when their children seem to be growing
up too fast and becoming too independent.

Some bosses or employers do this when it seems that a junior
is advancing too fast and may become competitive with them.

These are cases where someone may begin acting suppressively
towards you even when they do not act that way in general.
Sometimes it is simply fear of loosing somebody that they are
dependent on.

Your best solution is simply to be in good enough shape that
they cannot invalidate or hold you back and to have enough
skill at things such as communication to handle the situation.

Your last resort is to retreat, just as you would from an
overt attacker.  This leaves behind something that will have
to be faced later, but it is better than getting continually
trampled into the ground.

The intermediate course is to struggle to hold your own, and
to work to raise your confront and ability to handle a person 
who is currently suppressing you.

And this chapter has some processes to help you do that.

Note that orthodox Scientology currently has a bit of a 
fanatical attitude on the subject of suppression and 
"suppressive persons" (SPs).  You can ignore this and operate
on the practical basis of observing whether or not somebody
is actively working to suppress you (hold you down).

And remember that many fights come about simply because of
wrong data or misunderstood intentions or unjustified prejudices
and these things can be dissolved by means of good communication.

Everybody occasionally runs into somebody who does not have their
best interests at heart, so we'll begin with some general 
processes that are helpful even if you are not currently
having any trouble with somebody who is trying to suppress
your progress.

24.1 Stops

Stopping somebody is not always done out of bad intentions
(there are runaway trains), but it is not uncommon.

a) spot a time when somebody stopped you
b) spot a time when you stopped somebody else
c) spot a time when somebody else stopped another or others
d) spot a time when you stopped yourself

24.2 Criticism

There is constructive criticism, but it generally includes
a great deal of positive encouragement along with the criticism.
And much criticism stems from simple upsets which we addressed
in an earlier chapter.  But sometimes it is ill intentioned.

a) spot a time when somebody criticized you
b) spot a time when you criticized somebody else
c) spot a time when somebody else criticized another or others
d) spot a time when you criticized yourself

24.3 Making Nothing

A good way to hold somebody down is to make nothing out of
all of their efforts.

a) spot a time when somebody made nothing of you
b) spot a time when you made nothing of somebody else
c) spot a time when somebody else made nothing of another or others
d) spot a time when you made nothing of yourself

24.4 Spotting 

Now lets see if anybody is suppressing you.

There also might be someone who was very suppressive to you
as you were growing up and who is still exerting some influence
on you even though they are no longer around.

Write down answers to the following questions, putting down
multiple answers if it seems appropriate, until you feel that
you have answered each question fully.

a) Is there anybody around whom you seem to get sick or become
sick shortly after seeing them?

b) Is there anybody who is continually criticizing you?

c) Is there anybody who keeps telling you how bad other
people are?

d) Is there anybody who is continually stopping you?

e) Is there anybody who is continually invalidating you?

f) Is there anybody who continually provides false information?

g) Is there anybody who makes nothing of your efforts?

If the same name cropped up on a number of these lists, 
then you should run the following processes fitting the person
found into the commands.

If there is more than one name that came up on 3 or more
lists, then run each one in turn on the full set of processes
given below.

Note that you do not have to make an adjudication at this
point as to whether or not the person is really suppressive
towards you.

The fact of their coming up on a number of the above lists
means that there is enough charge present to make it worthwhile
to run the processes.  One can sometimes get into bad situations 
or games with people who are otherwise well intentioned.
It is valuable to handle any suppression that occurred in any
case.

24.5 Help

You might consider it odd to consider helping somebody who
has been suppressing you, but it really does help blow out
the barriers of hatred and raise your confront on the person.

The end result is not necessarily that you will now help
the person, we are only restoring free choice here, but you
certainly should find them easier to confront.

a) How could you help ____
b) How could ____ help you
c) How could ____ help others
d) How could others help ____

24.6 Problems

a) What problem has ___ been to you
b) What have you done about that
c) What problem have you been to ___
d) What have they done about that
e) What problem has ___ been to others
f) What	have others done about that
g) What problem have others been to ___
h) What have they done about that

24.7 Withholds

a) What haven't you said to ___

b) What hasn't ___ said to you
c) What hasn't ___ said to others

24.8 Overts

a) What have you done to ____
b) What has ____ done to you
c) What have others done to ____
d) What has ____ done to others

24.9 Invalidation

a) How has ____ invalidated you
b) How have you invalidated ____
c) How has ____ invalidated others
d) How have others invalidated ____

24.10 Upsets

Each of these 3 processes has 6 alternating commands.  Run
it just like other recall type processes, except that sometimes
you might not have anything to recall on the command.

24.10.1 affinity

a) is there a time when you rejected their affinity
b) is there a time when they rejected your affinity
c) is there a time when you insisted that they like you
d) is there a time when they insisted that you like them
e) is there a time when you did like them
f) is there a time when they did like you

24.10.2 communication

a) is there a time when you rejected their communication
b) is there a time when they rejected your communication
c) is there a time when you insisted that they listen to you
d) is there a time when they insisted that you listen to them
e) is there a time when you were in good communication with them
f) is there a time when they were in good communication with you

24.10.3 agreement

a) is there a time when you refused to agree with them
b) is there a time when they refused to agree with you
c) is there a time when you insisted that they agree with you
d) is there a time when they insisted that you agree with them
e) is there a time when you did agree with them
f) is there a time when they did agree with you

You can also use the handling for upsets (ARC Breaks) that
was given in an earlier chapter.

24.11 Safe

a) where would ____ be safe
b) where could you put ___ so that you would be safe

24.12 Cause

a) What could you confront about ____
b) What action of ____ could you be responsible for
c) What about ____ could you be at cause over

24.13 Mockups

Mockup or write down imaginary scenes in which you 
successfully handle ____, working out ways of dealing
with whatever difficulties might arise.

24.14 Summary

Steps 24.5 to 24.12 above should help you to confront and
handle the person so that they are no longer suppressive
to your doing better in life.

If you still can't handle them and they are seriously
pushing you down, then you probably should back off
and retreat, moving out from under the suppressive influence,
at least until you can build up some more horsepower.

But if you do back off in this manner, be very careful not
to blame the "suppressive" influence for the condition
that you are in.  This is deadly because it is handing off
control to an external agency that seems to be hostile to
you.

In actual truth, the cause and effect points are in a
constant state of flux and other people can help or hinder
you.  But these can be shifted by an act of will, and 
you need to take the causative viewpoint to be able to
change things to your liking.  If you take the effect
viewpoint for the sake of being able to blame somebody
else, you tend to trap yourself.

It is nice to take the effect viewpoint in a helpful
relationship.  It is pure masochism to accept the effect
viewpoint in a harmful relationship.

If you continue to have difficulties with the person
or just for the sake of learning more on a second pass
through the book, you can also look for earlier lives
in which you knew the same being and run some or all
of the above processes on that time period.

24.15 A Note on Orthodox Misbehavior

Orthodox Scientology has gone through a period of "witch
hunts" and declarations of various individuals as "Suppressive
Persons".

This has been used as a means to blame external sources
for things which are wrong.  As noted above, this is deadly
as it hands responsibility over to the external source.

There will be situations where an organization may need to
lable somebody as persona non grata and keep them away

from the organization because they are liable to burn it
down or something like that.

This has nothing to do with the fact of individual suppression
or the lack thereof.  Do not confuse these two things.

And do not trust any organization which is continually looking
for scapegoats.  A sane organization will occasionally find
a troublemaker and take some action to handle the situation,
but they do not sit around and continually blame the state of 
the organization on these people.

=================

SELF CLEARING CHAPTER 25: JUSTIFICATIONS AND RESPONSIBILITY

Here we are going to address various things that are concerned
with compulsive action or the avoidance of action.

Especially important at this stage is to address the
willingness to be responsible.  This does not mean being to
blame for things.  It means being at cause over things.

25.1 Justification process

When someone does things that he considers to be wrong,
whether intentionally or by mistake, there is a tendency
to try and justify these actions both to oneself and others.

This not only perpetuates the harm but it also forces the
person to hold various ideas fixed in his mind because they
are necessary to support these justifications.  It distorts
his view of the world and interferes with his thinking.
It also leads him into undesirable actions which are undertaken
to support or prove his justifications.

a) What has another done to you
b) How did they justify that
c) What have you done to another
d) How have you justified that
e) What has another done to others
f) How have they justified that

25.2 Excuses

a) What do you use as an excuse
b) What do others use as an excuse
c) How could you survive without excuses
d) How could others survive without excuses

25.3 Improvement

a) What are you willing to improve
b) What are you willing to have another improve
c) What would another be willing to have you improve
d) What would another be willing to have others improve

25.4 Responsibility

a) What could you be responsible for
b) What could another be responsible for
c) What would it be all right to be irresponsible about
d) What would it be all right for another to be irresponsible about

Then also run

a) spot a time when you were made to be responsible
b) spot a time when you made another be responsible
c) spot a time when another made another or others be responsible

Then run

a) spot the joy of responsibility
b) spot the joy of irresponsibility

Continue this last process until any feelings of gleeful
insanity have dissipated.

25.5 More Responsibility

Walk around outside.  Spot things for which you would be
willing to be responsible.

When you feel good about this, then spot things for which
you would be willing to share responsibility with others.

25.6 Domination and Survival

We have been at each other's throats for a long time out
of a mistaken idea that there will be only one victor, only 
one who will survive, with all the others crushed beneath
him.

Altruism does exist, but conflict has been the order of
the day.  

Let's take some of the weight off of this.

The idea here is simply to confront your actions without
justification or regret.  And to balance the weight of
this, we will alternate it with spotting positive things.

25.6.1

a) How have you dominated others
b) Spot a way to enhance others

25.6.2

a) How have you stopped others
b) Spot a way to help others expand

25.6.3

a) How have you inhibited others survival
b) Spot a way to aid others survival

25.7 Superiority

The basic game of this universe is one of superiority and
domination.

It is not the only possible game, there are much higher
level games available, but it is part and parcel of a
universe where physics and force dominate over aesthetics
and reason.

Each of us has something by which we prove that we are
superior to others.  It will be some basic characteristic
that we have worked on to the exclusion of other things,

and so you will be good at it.

It will be something like being holy or good or strong or
intelligent or some similar thing by which you make yourself
better than others.

Even the enlightened beings who have managed to pull out of
this game of domination will have this item, the difference
is that they choose not to use it against others.

And please note that this is a self-destructive game.  
Your best characteristic, which you use against others
if you choose to play this game, will eventually deteriorate
because of the harm that you are doing with it.  And so
eventually you must abandon it and shift over to something
which is not so badly deteriorated.

As a result, this item will only stretch back for a
limited number of lifetimes.  If you go back early enough,
you will find some other thing which you once used and
have since abandoned.

In this special case, therefore, we are only going to
consider your current lifetime.

DO NOT DO THE REST OF THIS STEP UNLESS YOU ARE 

  A. FEELING GOOD 
  B. DID WELL ON THE EARLIER PROCESSES IN THIS CHAPTER 
  C. FEEL INTERESTED IN AND READY TO FIND THE ANSWER.

If the answer to any of the above is NO, then leave this
one for a better time or for a second pass through the
book.

In this step, you will be listing out answers.  Write
them down in a clear and legible manner.  If you start
feeling heavy or tired (do not run this when you are already
feeling tired), then you have already listed too many
answers and will find that the basic answer is already on 
the list.  If you feel irritated or annoyed or charged up,
it is an indication that you need to list more answers.

Write down answers until you either hit THE ANSWER or
you have a comfortable feeling that you have put down
enough answers and feel good about it.  If you have
the answer, then you are done.  If not, you look over
the list considering each one and putting an X next
to any that now seem like they are not the item.

At some point while considering the answers, you may
suddenly realize which is The Answer, and then you
stop.  If it comes down to two or more which you
can't choose between, then you probably need to add
more answers.  

If at any point, the list seems to be incomplete,
then you can add more answers.

The list is not expected to be very long.  You may
realize the correct answer right off the bat.

If you are trained in professional Scientology listing
techniques, then use those instead.

The question is:

25.7.1 In This Lifetime, What Makes You Superior To Others?

Once you get it, write the answer again in big bold letters
and highlight it in your notebook.

Now take the item found and fit it into the following
process

25.7.2

This is a simple alternating process.

a) How does ___ make you superior
b) How could you use it to make yourself right
c) How could you use it to make others wrong

Once this process cools down, we want to get exactly what
it is about others that you are or might be using against them.

So lets do another list.

25.7.3 In This Lifetime, What Is It About Them That Makes
Them So Wrong?

This might or might not get you back to the exact thing that
you use to make them wrong.  If you felt good about the
answer but it seems like it was not quite basic enough,
then also do the following list.

25.7.4 In This Lifetime, What Do You Use To Make Others Wrong?

By this point, you should have a fairly basic answer such
as "They're stupid" or "They're irresponsible".  

This is sometimes called a "Service Computation" because 
the being mistakenly thinks that it is of service to him.
But that is only a short term apparancy, in actual practice,
use of this "Service Computation" on a regular basis will
cause the positive ability to deteriorate.

Because early Scientology thought of this as a mental
picture rather than a concept, it is also sometimes called
as Service Facsimile (a facsimile being a picture or copy of
something) or Serv Fac for short.

We want to erase this negative side.  Note that you do
not erase the positive ability (intelligence or strength
or whatever) but only the negative action of using it
against others (making them stupid or weak or whatever).

So run the following, fitting the service computation 
found above into the blank.

These are not simple alternating commands.  Instead, stay 
on one command as long as you are getting answers and then 
shift to the other and get many answers for that one and 
then shift back to the first command, etc.

Note that it is fine if these pickup things from earlier
lifetimes since you may have been using this for awhile.
Just run whatever wants to come up.

25.7.5

a) Spot ways that ___ would make you right
b) Spot ways that ___ would make others wrong

25.7.6

a) Spot ways that ___ would help you escape domination
b) Spot ways that ___ would help you to dominate others

25.7.7 

a) Spot ways that ___ would aid your survival
b) Spot ways that ___ would hinder the survival of others

This set of processes should be continued until the obviousness
of the service computation falls apart.  In other words,
when you first lay your hands on it, this thing probably does
seem like the absolute reason that people really are wrong.
As such, it is a fixed idea that could never really be true
all the time (people might be wrong, but never all people always 
for the exact same reason).

If you finish the above 3 processes (25.7.5 to 25.7.7) without
that happening, then run these 3 again.  Having run the other
two will let the first one run deeper, etc.  Keep it up until
you really do get free of this thing, because it is one of
the strongest factors that causes abilities to deteriorate.

25.7.8

Now lets strengthen the positive ability while at the same
time pulling out of the destructive game of domination.

Go to a crowded place.  Spot people and for each one, postulate
an improvement of the positive ability identified in 25.7.1
above.

25.7.9

Work to improve this positive ability in others in the
course of everyday life instead of using it to make others
wrong.  Doing this will improve the ability for you as
well as for others.

=================

SELF CLEARING CHAPTER 26: REPRESSION

Sometimes a person has things that they don't want to look
at, things that they keep hidden from themselves and are
afraid to find out about.

We have already approached this from the positive side by
running processes to increase one's willingness to look
at things.  But eventually one also has to address the
action of repressing things directly.

Here we are not talking about things which you are withholding
from others but things which you are trying to hide from
yourself.

In psychoanalysis this is called repression.  One prevents
oneself from thinking about things that one thinks are 
too horrible to contemplate.

Early Scientology was at odds with psychoanalysis, so they
called this suppression instead of repression, but it is
the same action of keeping something buried out of sight
and not letting oneself think about it or react to it.

Unfortunately, Scientology also used the word suppression
to refer to the action of a suppressive person keeping one
suppressed and under one's thumb (discussed in an earlier
chapter) resulting in some confusion between these things.

Also, there seemed to be different degrees of how heavily
one worked to keep something buried.  At the mild level,
one simply keeps something obscured and at the extreme, one
works to completely make nothing out of it and treats it 
as if it had never existed.

The avoidance of thinking about, looking at, or confronting
something is one of the major factors that we are addressing
throughout this book and this would seem to be an
appropriate time to examine the underlying theories.

In basic Scientology theory, there is the idea that there
are 4 states or conditions of existence in which a creation
might exist.

The first of these is the true or pure form in which the

creation is created.  This is the object or idea or whatever
seen exactly as it really is.  This is referred to as the
state of AS-ISNESS.

Since the creation is fully known and viewed, it may be 
created or not on a moment to moment basis.

There is a strong possibility that the underlying godlike
nothingness of which we are a part is balancing the void
with an infinity of creation.

On that basis, things which are in a state of as-isness
may be permitted to vanish because they may be recreated
at will, but things which are not in this state must be
retained or made to persist to prevent the possibility of
their recreation being lost.  At the highest levels above
all pain and suffering, one would want everything available
even if many of those things were not usually desirable.
If you are looking at a timespan of trillions of years,
you wouldn't let anything, no matter how poor or degraded,
disappear from your library because you might want it just
once a few billion years down the line.

Taking this from another slant, an immortal, infinite,
and indestructible godlike being's greatest problem would
be boredom.  He wouldn't let anything fall out of the
realm of possibility and therefore will never let anything,
no matter how horrible, disappear unless he can recreate
it at will.  

This may be hard to imagine right now, but you will 
want all these things later to add spice and variety 
to a mostly joyful infinity of creation.  What is
wrong is that you have far too much of this unpleasant
stuff running all at once, like trying to eat a dish that
is covered with inch thick layers of salt and pepper and
spices.  Deep down, you will never let yourself wish 
these spices out of existence because then you would never
have salt again.  To do that would be crippling yourself at
the higher godlike levels.  So instead you must go to the
work of cleaning up the mess.

Which brings us back to the conditions of existence.

When something is altered from this state of as-isness,
it will persist on a compulsive basis.  In other words,
as long as you are looking at the alteration, you will
keep holding the thing in place.  To let go of something,
you must see it as it is rather than seeing it in an
altered condition.  This altered condition is called the
state of ALTER-ISNESS.

But instead of confronting it and seeing what is really
there, which gives one power of choice as to its 
continued existence, the person will sometimes try to get 
rid of it by trying to stamp it out of existence.  He
tries to make it NOT exist by means of force.  This
is called NOT-ISNESS.

In other words, something is there but the being makes
a strong postulate that it is not there.  This works
halfway, because you are strong enough to hide something
from yourself so that it appears to be gone, but deep down
you wouldn't really let it vanish.  As a result, you
end up with something that appears to be gone, but is
really still there operating out of sight.

When applied to the area of your own mind and thoughts,
this act of Not-isness is the action of repression.
In other words, something is there and you make nothing
out of it, strongly deciding that it is not there and
never happened.  As a result, it continues to persist
out of sight and can operate to your detriment.

While something is in an alter-ised condition, it is
persistent and can trouble you but you are still aware
of it.  Once you have not-ised it, it is not only persistent
and troublesome but it is also out of sight and repressed.
The solution in either case is to look at it and bring
it into view fully, in which case it returns to a state
of as-isness and comes fully back under your control.  
Then you will permit it to vanish, or you can mock it up
again for entertainment if you are so inclined.

These 3 conditions of as-isness, alter-isness, and 
not-isness in regards to one's own thoughts, memories,
and feelings becomes fairly evident as one processes
oneself.  The things that you confront fully cease to 

trouble you and the things that you repress are eventually 
discovered and found to have been holding you back while 
they were in the repressed condition.

Because this is so self evident in individual processing,
the next logical step is to extend these ideas into the 
realm of objective reality.

But the 3 conditions discussed above are inadequate because
another factor has come into play.  This factor is
the interaction between multiple beings, each of whom
may as-is, alter-is, or not-is things that are shared
between them.  And so we must assign yet another condition,
which is called IS-NESS or reality which we can use as
a catchall for these more complex interactions.

And simply dumping all the group interactions into a 
single bin called IS-NESS is really an oversimplification,
but it will serve for the purposes of this chapter.
Although the nature of reality is an extremely interesting
topic to pursue as you become more advanced, it is really
at the leading edge of research.  There is much speculation,
theorizing, and sporadic (non-repeatable) phenomena that
shows up in this area and you would be wise to get your
own house in order first.  The processes in this book might
indeed lift you into this realm, but full mastery is far
beyond sporadic phenomena and this book is only a first
step on the road.

Therefore our immediate emphasis is to bring things into
view that you are hiding from yourself and lay them to
rest, so to speak, by restoring confront and awareness.

This gives us a simple rule of thumb which is very useful.
If a condition is persisting, there is something about it
that you are not looking at or confronting.

This ties together with the earlier chapter on protest
(which also ties into compulsive creation) because the
main reason that one not-ises something is because one
is protesting its existence.  If necessary you can clear
up your protests against something as a preliminary step,
but by this point you should usually be able to simply
look at something and confront it.

CAUTION: As Not-isness is removed, the last alter-isness
will come into view first.  This may be highly distorted
from the actual truth.  Do not mistakenly assume that it is 
true and use it for a basis of operation.

For example, let us say that a husband gives his wife
some flowers.  Now let us say that the wife has some earlier
bad experiences which lead her to believe that this means
that the husband is having an affair.  Instead of confronting
the area, she twists and alters it out of shape, imagining
various scenes of the husband seducing his secretary.

Then she carries this too far, the pictures that she is
imagining become too dreadful to contemplate, and she
represses the whole thing.  When this repression is first
lifted, her suppressed pictures of the husband's cheating
are the first thing that comes into view, and they may
seem very real.

These in turn have to be confronted before the real truth
becomes visible.  And confronting them fully may require
looking at the earlier bad experience which lead to the
trouble in the first place.

26.1 Cleaning Up Bothersome Ideas and Worries

Let us say that you are worried that some unpleasant thing
might be true or something might have been done to you,
but you are not sure and are all confused on the matter.

If you confronted this properly, you would either see the
truth or would take action to find out or perhaps would
not even care, but in any case you would not be bothered
and worrying.

If you can't achieve this by simply looking and confronting,
then there is something interfering with your ability to
look at the area and think clearly about it.

Sometimes you can simply push through this by using simple
tricks to raise your confront.  You might, for example,
simply mock up some pictures of the thing happening and
copy the pictures a few times until they become easy to
look at and you can throw them away easily.  Many of the
things in this book can be used on a one shot basis like

this.

But sometimes something stronger is needed, and the most
likely situation in this case is that you are having so
much trouble with it because it is either something that
has happened before or that you have done to somebody
else.

For this you can run the following:

a) recall (or imagine) a time when something like this
happened to you (or something like this was true).

b) recall (or imagine) a time when you did something like
this to another (or caused it to happen to another)

c) recall (or imagine) a time when another did something
like this to another.

Note that recalling a time is preferable, but if you can't
spot one, then try to approximate one by imagination.

Since you might be dealing with something that is heavily
suppressed, you may have to pull off layers of half imagined
stuff before you can reach a true recall.

Alternating the commands lets you poke at it from various
angles instead of straining at one point.

If there is something that you want to run this on right
now, go ahead and do so.

This process should be used as needed while running the
following steps.

26.2 Avoiding Thinking About

Run these alternately.

a) what might you avoid thinking about
b) what don't you have to avoid thinking about
c) what might another avoid thinking about
d) what wouldn't another have to avoid thinking about

Finish running the process before you go chasing off after
things.

Something might come into view and come apart completely
on the process, or it might only come apart part way.
If you reach a point where you feel really good about
the process and it seems complete, that is the point to
end off.

If some hidden thing came into view and the process completed
without actually resolving it completely, go ahead and
run 26.1 above on it.

26.3 Never Happened

Run as in 26.2 above.

a) what might you pretend never happened
b) what would it be all right to have happened
c) what might another pretend never happened
d) what would another feel it was all right to have happened.

Again, use 26.1 if some unresolved idea remains after
running the process.

26.4 Made Nothing Of

Run as above.

a) what might you have made nothing of
b) what wouldn't you need to make nothing of
c) what might another have made nothing of
d) what wouldn't another need to make nothing of

Again, use 26.1 if some unresolved idea remains after
running the process.

=================

SELF CLEARING CHAPTER 27: KEEPING YOURSELF MOVING

By this point you should have mastered quite a few techniques
and have a better understanding of how to get through areas
of difficulty.

As you work through various areas, some of them will come 
apart at such a deep level that they cease affecting you and
others will simply be "cooled down" so that they are easier
to handle but still come up in everyday life.

Let us take the area of problems for example.  At basic,
one is creating one's own problems.  The reasons and
mechanics are quite extensive.  This stretches back for
umpteen lifetimes over the course of many universes.  The
general subject of problems could be said to extend all
the way down into the deeply buried portions of the
"subconscious".

If you do a good job in running processes, such as the ones
given in an earlier chapter, on the area of problems, you
can take them apart and experience considerable relief.

The early problems that one had as a godlike superbeing
continue to manifest in mundane ways within one's everyday
existence.

Sometimes when you handle one of these or confront a
very basic mechanism in this area, you not only take
apart something which is currently troubling you but
you also relieve deeply buried charge which is hidden
below your current band of accessibility.  Sometimes these
things can go all the way down to "bedrock" so to speak.

This can bring about a major "release point" where the
entire topic just falls away and ceases to bother you.
For example, one might just stop having problems.  This

might only be momentary, or it might be extremely stable,
lasting for years or even lifetimes.

If you have had a major release in an area, and it
unstabilizes, it can be rehabilitated by spotting the
moment when the release occurred and what happened there.

If it is very unstable, then the solution is to run
more processes in the area and get to a bigger more
stable point of release.  If it is extremely stable,
then your best bet is to leave it alone and work on
other areas where you are less advanced.

There are many areas of "charge" and difficulty.  As
you get these to major points of release, you will
find that more and more of the deeply buried things
are accessible.  Eventually you can reach rock bottom
and achieve complete erasure of these sources of
trouble, but that is not practical in the early
stages.

This means that one must deal with the charge that
is stirred up by day to day life.  But note that
this "charge" is the being's own creation.  At basic, 
the being is himself a creative force and he can only
trap himself.

As you achieve significant points of release, you will
find that everything may improve briefly.  Your forward
progress encourages you to stop creating difficulties
for yourself.  Your faith in yourself and your self
confidence will improve and this in and of itself will
make life go better.

This holds true as long as you are doing well and making
progress.

Unfortunately, gains which come as a side effect of doing
well will desert you if things go badly.  

The other gains, which come from actually confronting things 
and developing skills and taking apart the various abberative 
mechanisms are earned by your own efforts and will remain
with you in both good times and bad.  These are the stable
gains which cannot be shaken.

Think of an undesirable electrical circuit which can be 
charged up or discharged.  When it is discharged, you have
greater freedom and power and when it is charged up, it
limits you.  The stable gains come from removing parts
of the circuitry so that they cannot charge up again.
The transient gains come from keeping the remaining circuitry
discharged.

Scientology refers to the state of being "charged up" as
being "restimulated" meaning that the various things buried
in the hidden reaches of the mind have been stirred up or
stimulated again (re-stimulated).  The opposite condition,
of having things "cooled down" so that one is doing better
is referred to as "destimulated".

In running a subjective processing command, one is intentionally
restimulating the specific thing that the command is aimed
at.  This is like running a bit of current through the
specific circuit that one wishes to lay one's hands upon
so that one can dissolve it.

But it is desirable to have everything else destimulated
so that one can bring maximum horsepower to bear against
the specific target that one is aiming at.  This allows
processes to run much faster and reach deeper.

A professional processor will often work to destimulate
things first before attempting to run one on major processes.
He will cool down the current upsets and problems and so
forth before addressing the mechanisms on a general basis.

For self processing, a different approach was needed, 
therefore the early chapters concentrated on processes which
work even in the presence of heavy charge and which tend
to have a destimulative effect.  Simply noticing things
that you like or recalling pleasure moments will reduce the
current level of restimulation.

The further expectation was that everyone would find some 
chapters that were easy for them and that they could run 
to significant release points even on a first pass through 
the book.  This would let most people get into a destimulated 
condition where the confidence and momentum would boost their 
speed and horsepower to the point where even the areas that 
they found more difficult could also be handled successfully.

But one can bog down occasionally, and life can get in the

way.  And it can take significant time and work to build
up momentum again if one has gotten stopped.

The easier course is to keep yourself dusted off and flying
along by knocking out restimulative things as they get in your
way just like a professional would.  If you have been working
through the book up to this point, you should have enough
techniques under your belt to do this successfully.

27.1 The Rudiments

These are called the rudiments (or Ruds for short) because
they are very basic.

These are the 3 key buttons that give the most trouble
if they are ignored.  You already know how to handle them.

27.1.1 Is there an ARC Break (upset)

Use the process given in 22.3 "Handling an Upset".

27.1.2 Is there a Present Time Problem

Use the process given in 15.8 or any other problem process
that you are comfortable with, aiming it at the specific problem 
that is troubling you.

27.1.3 Has a Withhold Been Missed

Use the missed withhold handling technique given in 19.7.

A professional would generally check these at the beginning
of each session.

You can check these over right now and handle any that are
present.  If you don't do any processing for awhile, begin
by checking these over.  If you are moving along with your
processing you don't have to check these each time you sit
down to run something because you will know if one of these
occurs in life.  If it does, simply handle it the next time
you have a chance.

In general, if your attention is stuck on an upset, problem, 
or missed withhold, subjective techniques will not usually
work well unless they address the thing directly.

However, objective techniques will usually work and might
even be needed if you are too upset to do the steps involved
in handling the rudiment.  The very first process in 
chapter one is especially good for this (which is one of
the reasons that it is presented first).

If, for example, you have such a terrible ARC Break that
you can't even focus on the steps needed to handle it,
then look around and spot things in the environment until
you pull yourself together enough to attempt handling
the break directly.

27.2 Other Rudiments

Although the above 3 are the most common buttons that 
interfere with making progress, other rudiments can
be used.

You can actually do a "rudiment" to clean up something that 
just happened in any of the abberative areas that you
have learned enough about.  That potentially includes
a large number of the chapters of this book.  Many of
them address abberative areas and there is generally
some technique which can be adapted to a one shot handling
of a specific thing that has gotten in your way.

If an area has been run to a stable release point, you
will generally be free of troubles in that area and
when something does come up you should generally be
able to handle it simply on a basis of confront and
your knowledge of the area.  But if something does
become troublesome and stick your attention, go ahead
and use a rudiment on it.

If something starts coming up frequently after you
have run a chapter that addresses that area, then
you might need to go back and do more on the chapter.

Eventually as you begin handling more and more areas,
some of the early release points will unstabilize because
you have expanded to a much larger sphere and have 
made so much of the hidden areas accessible that there
is a great deal more available in the area that was
previously "released".

One might, for example, have become free from problems,
but eventually one grows so much that a more deeply
buried realm of problems which had been heavily 
suppressed (repressed) finally comes into view and
one is very interested in handling it.

Once one has reached that stage, the area can be run
again with great benefit.  At this point, subjective
processes which previously went to a major release and
would simply overrun if you tried them again shift back
into being useful techniques because there is a whole

new area of material for them to run on.

Again using the area of problems as an example, one
might first run it from a very human one lifetime
viewpoint and achieve a considerable release.  But
eventually so much of your past existence comes into
view and your awareness of being an immortal spirit
is so much higher that you become very interested
in taking another look at problems from that higher
viewpoint.

Note that if you do achieve a major stable release point
in a particular area (this is more likely on the second
time through the book), you would leave that area
alone until you had very high interest in doing more.

Some of the chapters may go to a major release point
on the first pass.  If that happens, you would skip
them on the second time through unless you had expanded
so much that the area was again highly interesting
to you.

And do not invalidate the earlier release point just
because you are now ready to go further.

27.3 Some Useful Rudiments

Although these are not as critical as the 3 significant
rudiments given above, these can get in your way and
cleaning them up occasionally is useful, especially 
when you are trying to get started again after having
been bogged down.

a) Has anything been protested

See chapter 14.

b) Have you committed an overt

See 19.3

c) Is anything being suppressed (repressed)

See 26.1

d) Has there been a false accusation

See 23.11

e) Has anything been invalidated

See 23.9

f) Has an evaluation been enforced

See 23.16

g) Are you withholding anything

See 19.6

h) Has something been misunderstood

Find out what and clear it up (see chapter 5).

27.4 Wrong Indications

This is an area we haven't covered yet but which is extremely
useful, especially in correcting things that are wrong.

People do make mistakes, especially when they are trying
to spot the source of something or fix something.

Let's say that you have a car and it starts running poorly.
A mechanic examines it and indicates to you that the problem
is with the fuel pump.  So you have it replaced.  But the
car continues to run poorly because the real trouble was
with the carburetor.  This is a wrong indication.

Sometimes you don't know until after the fact.  You are feeling
poorly and you spot or have it indicated to you that X is the
source of this.  Then you feel worse.  This tells you that
it was a wrong indication.  So you back up, spot the fact
that it was wrong, and try again, this time perhaps spotting
that Y was the source.  This one works and you feel a bit
better.

As you gain more perception and experience in an area, you
become more able to spot a wrong indication immediately
without needing to try it.  If you knew auto mechanics
well, you might have known right away that the fuel pump
in the earlier example was a wrong indication and was
not the source of the difficulty.  You might not know what
the right indication would be, but you still know enough
to spot a wrong one when it is stated.

This is extremely useful in repairing errors in processing.
You have some difficulty and you try to spot what went
wrong.  You take a guess and if it doesn't feel right,
you spot that as a wrong indication, back up, and try
again.

This is extremely useful as a rudiment.  "Has there been
a wrong indication?".  If so, spot what it was.  If necessary,
spot earlier similar wrong indications or spot times that
you gave the same wrong indication to somebody else.

You can also run a process in this area.  Wrong indications
are much easier to spot with hindsight and this will help
you focus in on the feelings involved.

a) Recall a time that you were given a wrong indication
by another.

b) Recall a time that you gave a wrong indication to another.

c) Recall a time that another gave a wrong indication to
another or others

d) Recall a time that you gave a wrong indication to yourself.

27.5 Assists 

If you are sick, injured, in pain, or otherwise not doing

well physically, there are processes which may help.  These
are called assists.

Two of the most useful are given in sections 1.3 and 2.3.
Another especially good one is to push the pain or sensation
into the walls, floor, ceiling, etc. until you can shift
it out of the body.

There are a large number of assist processes.  See chapter
4 of the Super Scio book and also various books from the
CofS such as the Volunteer Minister's Handbook and various
editions of the books giving introductory, demonstration, and
assist processes.

27.6 Errors in Listing

Listing processes are those which list for answers to a 
question while looking for the one specific answer.

The only listing processes in this book are in chapter 25.
There is more information on this in chapter 4 of the Super
Scio book.

In general, listing techniques are faster but you can get
the same results with a repetitive process.  Since it is
much easier to do a repetitive process and there is much
less chance of getting into trouble, we have avoided the
area of listing because it would introduce unnecessary
complexity.

But people who have had poorly done Scientology processing
run on them by another may have existing errors in listing.

And some of the advanced areas that you may get into as
you work beyond this book may include listing processes.

So you should know how to spot and fix a listing error
(known as an out list) as part of your bag of tricks.

A listing process goes to one and only one answer and
that answer is indicated as the answer and it feels right
when that is done.

If there are multiple answers, or there is uncertainty,
or one becomes upset or disturbed, then it is an out list.

These answers are called "items" and the indication of
a wrong item as the answer is just like any other wrong
indication as discussed earlier.  But having a wrong
item indicated to you by a professional in a listing
process generally has much more impact than the usual
wrong indications that happen in life because the question
often has a lot of charge on it and because you will 
generally be putting a lot of trust in the professional's
judgment.

The thing to know if you get professional processing in the 
future is that if an item is indicated and you don't feel
really good about it, you say something immediately.  The
professionals expect you to do this, because your feeling
about the item when it is indicated is one of the most 
significant factors in judging whether or not the list
is correct.

Now if you do have an out list, there are two general 
approaches to handling it.

First is to fix the list itself.  This is what a professional
would do.  There are really only 4 major classes of errors.

a) The list was continued too long (overlisted).  One spots
the fact that it has been overlisted (usually it makes one
feel heavy and tired).   The item will already be on the list.  
One finds it and spots that it is the item.

b) The list is incomplete.  There are more answers.  One
spots that and continues listing.

c) The list is invalid.  It does not go to a single item.
One spots that and indicates it.  If the area is still
troublesome, you could find some other way to take some
charge off of the area (see below).

a) The wrong item was indicated.  Most important is to spot
that it was wrong.  Then find the right item, using the other
points above as needed.

A more detailed discussion is in chapter 4 of Super Scio.
Read that if you feel that you might have some out lists
left over from professional handling.

The other thing that you can do is to take more charge off
of the area that was listed.  It is easy to spot a basic
answer to something if you can get enough charge out of the
way.  This can be done with repetitive processes.  You can
make up a general repetitive command for spotting or recalling
things in the area and run that rather than trying to do
a listing technique to find the answer.

The orthodox Church of Scientology likes to use listing

techniques to find people who might be suppressing you.
This often leads to wrong indications.  The cure is to
run the repetitive processes given in the chapter on
suppression to remove charge from the area.  Then spot
the various wrong indications.  This should cause the
area to fall apart and allow you to spot whether anybody
really is acting suppressively towards you.

Another example is chapter 25, where the area was "softened
up" before trying to search for any specific answers.

This can be done in any area where you have previously
had listing techniques used and which subsequently gave
you trouble.

Self listing rarely gives the same degree of trouble as
professional listing because you do not have an outside
source jamming the answer down your throat.  But it can
be confusing if you don't know what you are doing.  Eventually
you will want to do a thorough study of listing techniques.
Until then, stick with repetitive processes and drills or
make a point of softening up an area with them first before
doing any solo listing processes.

27.7 Other Trouble Spots

Besides the things listed above and the ones discussed
under "If you get into trouble" in the beginning sections
of this book, there are a few other things which can
also get in your way.

a) Interiorization/Exteriorization Troubles

This does not refer to problems with exterior perception
or operation.  That is a matter of gradually developing
skill and perception and ability and you simply have to
put up with the fact that it may take time and effort.

But there is the specific problem of interiorizing with
some impact or otherwise messing up the energy fields
around the body, which might make you feel a bit sick
or give you a headache.

We will do more to proof you up against this in the
later chapter on advanced incident running.

But for now, if something like this happens, repeat
the first simple drill given in the chapter on
exteriorizing.  If you take your attention off of the
body and simply drill interiorizing and exteriorizing
from a nearby mountain (without trying to pull anything
out of the body or push anything into it), it can
cool down other impacts and energy manifestations that
may be occurring and get you feeling better.

b) Looking for something that isn't there

Due to mistakes or misunderstoods or wrong indications,
you might decide that something is there when it isn't.

For example, you might feel that there must be an
ARC break in some area, but you just can't lay your 
hands on it, or you try to force something to seem like
it was an ARC break but it wasn't.

This can get you really confused and tangled up.

Of course the area might simply be overcharged or you
made some gross mistake in the way you tried to handle
it.  But looking for something that isn't there (or
putting something where there is nothing) is a prime
suspect when things get confusing and difficult.

You can check these 3 points and see which "feels
right".

1 - Are you looking for something that isn't there
2 - Has a mistake been made
3 - Was there simply too much charge in the area

Of course point 1 is a mistake and can lead to pulling
in too much charge, so you check it first (because the
others may seem right too).

If it was a mistake, figure out what you did wrong, rereading
the appropriate material if necessary, and fix it.

If there is too much charge, but you were able to run the
process to some degree (in other words, it started running
instead of being something too difficult which should be
put aside until later),  it may be due to one of the
other rudiments or errors that we have been discussing,
or it might be that it is simply a difficult area and you
need to either stick with it and complete the process or
use some of the basic techniques (in the early chapters)
for building up a bit more horsepower before trying again.

c) Communication

Communication is so significant that a cut or ignored
communication can sometimes stick your attention even if there 

is not a real ARC break.

For this, you can write down the communication, spot who
should have received it, and visualize an acknowledgment
coming from them.  Repeat until you attention comes off
of the incomplete communication and you can concentrate
on your processing.

d) Fixated Attention

It is always possible that something else is fixating your
attention which doesn't quite fit the various categories
of things that have been discussed (problems, upsets,
and so on).

You can drill putting your attention onto it and taking
it off of it.  Or you can alternately mock it up and
unmock it.  Or any other technique which lets you causatively
work something back and forth in the area instead of
remaining fixated.

Or, if you are simply excited about something that is
about to happen, go ahead and take a break.

27.8 CORRECTION LISTS

Professionals often use correction lists either when 
somebody gets in trouble or just as a general cleanup.

These are lists of possible errors that one checks over
to see if anything indicates.  If some error is spotted,
it is fixed, unless the simple fact of spotting it
cleans it up.

These generally include the various rudiments and the
various kinds of errors that we have been discussing.

Some are specifically tailored to specific types of
processing and some are general purpose.

A general correction list adapted to self processing is 
included in the appendix.

You do it by simply checking over each question and if
it seems like there is something to handle, do so.
If, for example, it seems like there has been a wrong
indication, then use the procedure given earlier in
this chapter.

Most of the material on handling the various errors
is given in this chapter or in the introductory section
on "if you get into trouble".

Of course if a process was left incomplete, you finish
running it.  And if a process was overrun (continued
too long), you spot the moment when it was complete
as discussed in chapter 2.

You can look over a correction list in regards to a
specific error, or as a general cleanup, or aim it at
something earlier that you want to fix up.  In some cases
you might want to aim the question at the area or time
period that is being repaired.  For example, if you
are trying to straighten out some processing that you
were given last year, you would change the question
"is there an ARC Break" into "At that time, was there 
an ARC Break".

If you get some clean up from a professional, they may
use the correction list in the appendix or other professional
correction lists or a hybrid of both.

=================

- - -  F r e e Z o n e   America  - - -
PO Box 3093 * Kingman, AZ 86402-3093
Visit us at: http://fza.org

================ http://www.clearing.org ====================
Tue Aug 15 15:13:13 EDT 2000 
ftp://ftp.lightlink.com/pub/archive/pilot/self6.memo
Send mail to [email-masked] saying help

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Homer Wilson Smith     The paths of lovers    Art Matrix - Lightlink
(607) 277-0959               cross in         Internet Access, Ithaca NY
[email-masked]     the line of duty.     http://www.lightlink.com